As of 22 April 2009 this website is 'frozen' in time — see the current IFLA websites
This old website and all of its content will stay on as archive –
64th IFLA General Conference
August 16 - August 21, 1998
Code Number: 026-81-E
Division Number: II.
Professional Group: Geography and Map Libraries
Joint Meeting with: -
Meeting Number: 81.
Simultaneous Interpretation: No
The New Documentation Center of IGN
Service de la Documentation Géographique - IGN
Marne la Vallée
At the beginning of 1996, the Institut Géographique National's headquarter decided to move the IGN's library from Saint-Mandé to Marne-la-Vallée, on the same site of the ENSG (Ecole Nationale des Sciences Géographiques). It was also decided to take advantage of this change to modernize this unit. This paper presents the context of the decision, the purposes and means of this new "Documentation Center", and also a first statement a few months after openning.
Historic and context
IGN is the main french cartographic organism. The main purpose of this public institution is elaboration and maintenance of geographical equipement: maps, aerial photography, geodetical and levelling networks,... He has also the mission to controle activities of the " Ecole Nationale des Sciences Géographiques" (ENSG).
ENSG, located in Saint-Mandé (near Paris) since the fiefties, move on in Marne la Vallée at tfhe end of 1997 (this was in project since... about 15 years). At this occasion, he was located with the "Ecole Nationale des Ponts et Chaussées" (ENPC) in a magnificent ultra-
Students and teachers of ENSG have study and reaserch activities. It was thereby essential to provide for a documentation center for the users. This problem does'nt exist during the time where ENSG was located in Saint-Mandé: IGN's library was on the same place and was available for the IGN's staff just as students and teachers of ENSG.
It was considered, at first, to equip ENSG with his own documentation center with adapted dimensions for this school (between 2 and 4 people). In this case, IGN's library as to stay in Saint-Mandé.
Some considerations on the cost of the working of two documentary units (the library and the documentation center) and also on the hope to contribute to increase the influence of ENSG bring IGN's management to another solution.
A study was made on the opportunity of the integral transfert of the library in Marne la Vallée. After results, some complements of this study where made. Considering general conclusions, the IGN's management decided, on the 11sth march 96 for the principle of an integral tranfert .
The documentation Center
This decision means disappearing of Saint-Mandé's library, and per contra creation of the Documentation Center of IGN, in Marne la Vallée. The evolution according IGN's wishes goes beyond simple changes of name or place: this take also in account an attribution's evolution.
Here are the main principle for the activitie of the new Center:
- the main purpose is to provide user's service (as opposed to manage a stock of documents)
- the documentation is centered on IGN's technics (surveying, cartography, geodesy, photogrammetry, remote sensing). Some connected fields are also present in the fund:
- geography of areas where IGN was historicaly involved (Afrique Occidentale Franìaise,
- frique Equatoriale Franìaise, Madagascar, Indochine,...)
- management (communication, quality,...)
- applications of cartographic technics (GIS, data bases, informatic)
- documents not in relationship with the keeping principles are draw out of the fund
- state heritage will be preserved
- the Centre, following the library, assume some centralised fonctions for all the establishment: management of books orders and subscriptions, preservation of some internal documents.
This quite ambitious statement involve some important points:
- the main purpose of the centre is the communication of documents and informations rather than conservation. In the same way, documentary furnishing and opening on the outside are privileged compared with technical activities of documentary treatment and documents storage.
- the Center looks for the satisfaction of his preference requirements, he takes the lead for his users-customers and gives them help and opening on the outside. The Center is open for IGN like external users.
- the Center propose a documentary policy to IGN's Direction (books purchase, consevation,...), then apply the decided policy. He don't hold all the IGN's documentary fund. He has not vocation to be an archive center for all the documents produced by IGN.
- the Center works as a partner with units of IGN who dispose of documents and informations. For this units, he is like a relay station and like a part of a whole.
- the Centre is connected with outer documentation centers.
- - in spite of proximity, the Center is not attached to ENSG. He is attached, like the ancien library, to the "Service de la Documentation Géographique" (SDOG) of Saint-Mandé, becaus of the documentary fonctions he has in charge for IGN: purchase of books, circulation of newspapers, place the fund at disposal, ... Remember that the "PhotothÅque Nationale" and the IGN's Map library are also attached to the SDOG.
Actually, the means provided in current working are:
Seven people, with the manager, are expected for the center. All this people recieved a
documentation training: for two of them, it was training with diploma.
In addition to this people, it is expected to call upon IGN's agent's help:
- to give some technical advises upon choice of cartographic technical documents. All this people (about thirty) are selected because their ability and forme themselves the "user's committee". Some months ago, they take active part in the selection of documents for the new documentation center.
- to be a shift between Center and technical units of IGN. We call that "documentation correspondent". One or two correspondents in each unit have in charge to promote the Center and his resources.
The documentation Center is located in the ENSG wing of the two school (ENSG+ENPC) common building, in the "Cité Descartes" in Marne la Vallée.
In terms of surface, the center dispose of:
Each room has a precise function.
- one 319 sqm reading room
- one 93 sqm loggia
- one 35 sqm reserve in the underground
- one local for 3 peoples (32 sqm)
- one local for the manager (11 sqm)
- the reading room is open tu all public with:
- reception desk
- a place to consult the books database
- a place for newspapers
- rows for books
- desks for two people of the center
- the acces to the loggia is reserved. Here are protected documents put away.
- the unusual readed documents are the undergroun reserve.
In addition, it is possible for the Center to archieve others documents in an IGN's outbuilding located in Villefranche sur Cher, near Orléans.
In addition to classical furniture (boards, desks, display units), their is a PC SparcServeur 2, named Bliblix and using TECHLIB+ programme.
The care for internal users gives to minimize disadvantages because of the distance for Saint-Mandé's people (they get used to have a very close library...). For that, it will be possible to consult Biblix throught the Internet: after some months, all the computers of Saint-Mandé (about 600) will have this opportunity. For those without computer, their is a self-service terminal. In addition, a daily shuttle between Marne la Vallée and Saint-Mandé will make easier loan and restoration of books.
What is the matter, some months after oppening ?
As written in his aims, the direction of new Center apply himself to improve service's quality. It means he carry on the previous tasks (purchase of books, publishing of acquiring report, research and consultation, running of newspapers,...) and add some various improvements:
- publishing a widely broadcasted monthly letter
- seting up and bringing up to date thematical documentary records (GIS, elevation model, GPS, orthophotography,...)
- upkeeping an Internet sites catalog
- documentary watching for the institution
All this element are seting now in position. Some changes are also excpected in near futur:
- consultation of all the IGN current cartography (about 2500 maps)
- connexio with others documentations centers.
It is now to early, a few months after oppening of the new documentation center of IGN, to know if his ambitious aims will be reached. It's important to see that the first aim is a significant increase of the users's service, in spite of the distance of all the productions units of Saint-Mandé. If this increase of the user's service is not the reason who prompt IGN's Direction to create the new center, we ave to take the opportunity of the moving of the library to create a documentation center worthy of our institution.
Oppening hours, monday to friday, 9h45 to 17h45
Centre de documentation de l'IGN
Cité Descartes, 6-8 avenue Blaise Pascal
77455 Marne la Vallée Cedex 2,
tél. 01 64 15 32 80
fax. 01 64 15 32 84