World Library and Information Congress: 71st IFLA General Conference and Council
"Libraries - A voyage of discovery"
August 14th - 18th 2005, Oslo, Norway
Call for Papers:
Library and Information Science Journal Section
The IFLA LIS Journals Section Interim Standing Committee invites Library and Information Science journal users, authors, editors, LIS educators and publishers to submit paper proposals dealing with strategies to optimise the international impact of the research and professional expertise of countries with national languages spoken by relatively small numbers.
LIS Journals - a Voyage of Discovery beyond Anglo-American shores
Proposals may focus on, but are not limited to:
- How do LIS journals in languages other than English, particularly those in languages spoken by smaller language communities, survive and thrive?
- How do national policies (in areas such as higher education and research) impact on them?
- What do these LIS journals contribute to the world literature of LIS? What is their impact?
- What barriers are there to the world-wide diffusion of their contributions?
- To what extent are they covered in the international indexing and abstracting databases?
- What can be done to bring their contributions to the attention of the English-speaking world?
- What role do they play in bringing contributions from the Anlgo-American LIS journals to the attention of their readers?
Please e-mail abstracts (maximum 500 words) by 10 January 2005
to the Interim SC Secretary Ludmila Kozlova (email@example.com) accompanied by the following information:
- Names of presenter(s)
- Position or title of presenter(s)
- Employer or affiliated institution
- Mailing address
- Telephone/fax numbers
- E-mail address
- Short biographical statement and resume
Notifications of abstracts acceptance will be issued by 10 February 2005.
The deadline for submission of full papers is 15 March 2005.
Papers with abstracts should not exceed 10-12 pages, including references.
Notifications of papers acceptance will be sent by 10 April 2005.
Submission of full papers (camera ready copies): 1 May 2005.
Papers not accepted for delivery at the open meeting may be selected for publication in the Section's newsletter in June 2005.
Regrettably, no financial support can be provided, but a special invitation might be sent to authors of accepted papers.
Papers must be submitted in one of the official IFLA languages (English, French, German, Russian, Spanish). You may submit an abstract translated into an official IFLA language other than the language of the text you are submitting.
Requested paper abstracts for Oslo to be sent to:
Ms. Ludmila Kozlova
LISJ Section Interim Secretary & Newsletter Editor
Chief, Dept. of Foreign LIS & International Library Relations
Russian State Library,
3/5 Vozdvizhenka str.
119992 Moscow, Russia
Phone: (7) (095) 202-3565
Fax: (7) (095) 913-6933; 290-6062
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com