World Library and Information Congress: 74th IFLA General Conference and Council
"Libraries without borders: Navigating towards global understanding"
10-14 August 2008, Québec, Canada
Call for Papers and Panelists for Satellite Meeting
Library Services to Multicultural Populations Section
5-7 August 2008
Theme: Multicultural to Intercultural: Libraries Connecting Communities
The IFLA Section on Library Services to Multicultural Populations is pleased to announce a Satellite Pre-conference in Vancouver, Canada, August 5-7 2008.
Themed, "Multicultural to Intercultural: Libraries Connecting Communities", this conference will explore models of practices of libraries in different multicultural environments. The library needs of First Nations/Indigenous peoples will also be addressed in the conference. In addition, there will be an examination of the changing demographics of our communities and institutions and the many challenges and opportunities that arise with cultural diversity.
The expected audience of the conference is informed specialists providing services to diverse populations.
Suggested topics for this session include, but are not limited to:
- Innovative Library Services to Multicultural Populations
- Successful Strategies in Library Services to Aboriginal/Indigenous Populations
- Impact of Multiculturalism, Cultural Diversity and Changing Demographics on Library Services
- Best Practices in Library Services to Students
Please send an abstract of approximately 500 words, in English no later than February 4, 2008 to:
Please attach brief biographical information of the author/s including their name(s), contact details, professional affiliation(s) and a short statement on their career(s).
- Successful applicants will be notified by mid-March, 2008.
- Papers accepted will be due no later than July 1st 2008.
- Papers should be submitted in English and be ready for publishing.
- Papers should not be longer than 20 pages.
- A maximum of 30 minutes will be allowed for the presentation of each paper.
- At least one of the authors of the paper must present the paper. The papers must be presented in English.
Please note that the Programme Committee has no funds to assist prospective authors: abstracts should only be submitted on the understanding that the expenses of attending the Vancouver conference (including travel, expenses) will be the responsibility of the author(s)/presenter(s) of accepted papers. Authors of accepted papers will receive complimentary conference registration.
For further information on the conference please visit our website: http://www.bcla.bc.ca/ifla2008 or contact Michael Burris at email@example.com
February 4, 2008: Deadline for submission of proposals
Mid-March, 2008: Notification of acceptance of proposals
July 1, 2008: Submission of full papers